Monday, March 31, 2008

Let's Babble About the "Best!"

Film Discussion Club encourages you come out to the Cyber Café to share your opinions on what makes a movie a “classic” on Thursday night. Yes, There Will Be Blood will be playing at the SLC that night, but there’s always Friday and Saturday. :P

To get my toes wet in the topic now, I’ll confess my desire to go back in time and watch La haine for the first time. I re-watched it in my French class last week, but the occasion didn’t compare to the cinematic wallop it felt like when I experienced it last summer after prioritizing it on my Netflix queue once Criterion released it on DVD. How a movie endures repeat viewings is a popular barometer for measuring how “classic” or “great” one is, but is there any merit in those unforgettable first acquaintances? In his introduction to his “Great Movies” column, Roger Ebert says he “envies the experience” awaiting people when they mention they’re seeing a particular movie he loves for the first time. I feel the same way about my own batch of “great” movies.

Anyway, try to come out on Thursday night at 7 to share your thoughts.

No comments: