Thursday, February 5, 2009

JCVD ~ Jean-Claude Van Damme

Holy crap! It's better than seeing Liam Neeson do a Steven Seagal movie (cough, Taken, cough). This one is actually a real movie. With Jean-Claude. And acting.

Now, I'm not going to start quoting those nice praising reviews like
"Must be seen to be believed", or that odd one like "Forces you to consider the star in a whole new light", or even "Maybe the year's most surprising movie." I just really enjoyed this movie.

Basically, Jean-Claude is himself, a lower than B-movie actor who runs into debt, child custody hearings, and a lack of love from his own agent. After heading home to Brussels (making this movie basically in French with English subtitles - but they don't talk fast), he finds out he really is broke as Steven Seagal steals his last role. Things get interesting when he's caught in a bank robbery while withdrawing cash and the whole city thinks he is the criminal.

This movie delivered all that I wanted. It had action, humor, clever writing, a soft touch, and interesting supporting characters. My one complaint is that after Jean-Claude does this movie, proves that he can act and show emotion, he goes and signs up for Universal Soldier 4.

As a side note, I didn't have to go to a Film Festival to see this either. The new FSU Film School
Torchlight Program brought this movie, others, and more to come for FREE to Student Life Cinema on campus and played it back on January 13th.
Link
Now, if you missed it a month ago, JCVD is coming back to Tallahassee. It will be at the Regal Miracle 5 on Friday, February 13.

I might actually go and pay for my second showing, so I expect to see you there. Don't forget, for more of these FREE movies in Tallahassee, keep an eye on Student Life Cinema at FSU, especially on Facebook at the fan page: Student Life Cinema

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited that JCVD is playing at the Miracle 5. I was planning on going with my friends to the SLC screening, but I ended up having to work. I am a huge Jean Claude fan, and have read many great things about this movie. I'm so glad that it will be playing here in Tallahassee, I will be there opening night.

Unknown said...

I'm so excited that JCVD is coming back to Tallahassee! I saw it during the SLC screening and I can't wait to see it again. If you missed it last time, make sure you make it out the the Miracle 5 screening!

Anonymous said...

I also saw this at the preview screening and was really impressed.

JCVD is a post-modern riff on the idea of celebrity and how it can distance said celeb from the rest of the world. Van Damme gives a really impressive performance here, engaging in improvisational give-and-take with the other actors and showing a surprising flair for deadpan humor.

However, the best moment arrives when he breaks the fourth wall, stopping the film's action for a moment to reflect on his life and how he feels about it. He really pours his heart out and the effect is unexpectedly moving.

In short, JCVD is a big surprise at a time of year when you aren't getting many surprises at the movie theater. Anyone interested should definitely check it out.

Unknown said...

I went to see a screening of JCVD and it far exceeded my expectations. The acting was absolutely above par, not only for Jean Claude, but for any actor. The direction was very artistic and beautifully executed. The best thing about this movie is that it provided a true insight into Van Damme's real life struggles and raw humanity. The bottom line is that this movie is well executed aesthetically. This movie is definitely worth seeing. I’m even thinking about buying the DVD.

Unknown said...

I think the most appealing thing about this movie is that it doesn’t take itself too seriously. Jean Claude’s performance is very natural and the movie as a whole is both intense and light-hearted. Humor, intensity, and even a shade of melancholy are blended together into one exciting ride of a movie.
If you haven’t seen this yet, it is definitely worth checking out….I know I will be at the Miracle 5 next weekend to see it again!

Anonymous said...

This flick is truly a case of "life imitates art":

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/article2210368.ece

The above article is entitled "Jean-Claude Van Damme: I Need Success To Win Back My Son." It's an interview and a fascinating read for anyone interested in this flick.

Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd see Jean Claude Van Damme on AOL's home page... Now that's a real comeback.

http://movies.aol.com/celebrities/hot-celeb-gossip-photos?photodeeplinkNum=0&icid=200100397x1218473267x1201262710